Fresh dill(several large sprigs rinsed and stems trimmed)
Garlic cloves(2 per jar, smashed and cut in half)
Bay leaves(3 per jar)
Serrano pepper(1 per jar, sliced, if you want spicy)
For the brine (enough to fill 2 1-pint mason jars)
Filtered water(1 quart)
Kosher salt(2 1/2 tablespoons)
Sterilize all equipment to be used by submerging in boiling water.
Heat 1 quart of water, dissolve salt, and let the brine cool.
Trim ends from cucumbers and slice to size (see notes).
Into the bottom of each jar place a few sprigs of dill, the garlic cloves, a pinch of peppercorns, 2 bay leaves, and 2/3 of the sliced serrano.
Pack the cucumber spears on top of the spices.
Fill the jar just below the brim with the brine.
Add the rest of the serrano slices.
Top with third bay leaf.
Seal the jar with the pickle pipe.
Set aside in a cool dry place, less than 80°F.
The fermentation can take anywhere from 3 days to several weeks. I let mine go for about 10 days. You can taste every few days until the flavor profile is to your liking - just be sure you only dip into the jar with a clean utensil, do not double dip, and re-seal well.
Once fermentation is complete, replace pickle pipe with a normal lid, and store in the refrigerator for 2-3 months.
For the cucumbers, I used the Armenian Cucumbers growing in our garden. I have read that they make excellent pickles (maintaining a good crunch), but you could use whatever is available to you, or even small whole kirbies. To trim the cucumbers into spears, I measured the depth of the jar I was going to use, and then trimmed them 1 inch shorter (in length) by 1/4 - 1/2 inch wide.Using weights is optional in this case, since the cucumber slices are packed in tightly, and heavy enough to stay submerged. I did not use weights in this recipe, although I would consider using them next time, just to be sure everything stays submerged. (I had some floating serrano slices on top that became discolored.) If you opted to use weights, then you would need to adjust the height of the cucumber spears to that there was space for the weight to sit on top, and still seal the jar. So measure accordingly! :)